Uncontested divorces are simple and quick but there are key issues to consider. Uncontested divorces can sometimes cause people to give up rights they didn't even realize they had. These rights include things like alimony, a division of pension or retirement benefits, income from real estate and other sources of income. The wisest plan is to consult an experienced divorce attorney, even if you and your soon to be ex-spouse are on the best of terms.
The reality is, most divorces are uncontested divorces, somewhere in the neighborhood of 95% by some accounts, but we only hear about that remaining 5% - those messy divorces rife with conflict and on the evening news or celebrity website. An uncontested divorce does not always mean that the divorce is amicable and everything is all wine and roses. All it means is that the issues were decided outside of the court system, but there can still be plenty of animosity and bitterness involved.
It is important to note that to get an uncontested divorce, there have to be absolutely no issues left unresolved. You may have to do a little negotiating with your spouse before you can come to a comfortable agreement that you are both satisfied with. Your focus should be on the end result - after your uncontested divorce you will no longer be married, and you and your spouse will be free to get on with your new lives. It is the chance for a fresh start, to let go of your marriage, and move on.